Wellness is a multidimensional state of being describing the existence of positive health in an individual as exemplified by quality of life and a sense of well-being.
B vitamins and physical activity may help cut the risk of Alzheimer's disease.
UV-shielded sunglasses can reduce risk of cataracts.
Vitamin supplements – high levels of vitamins C, E and beta carotene with zinc – may help chances of macular degeneration in those at high risk for this disorder.
Make muscle pain a memory with ginger
When Danish researchers asked achy people to jazz up their diets with ginger, it eased muscle and joint pain, swelling and stiffness for up to 63 percent of them within two months. Experts credit ginger's potent compounds called gingerols, which prevent the production of pain-triggering hormones. The study-recommended dose: Add at least 1 teaspoon of dried ginger or 2 teaspoons of chopped ginger to meals daily.
After years of telling people chemotherapy is the only way to try ("Try", being the key word) to eliminate cancer, Johns Hopkins is finally starting to tell you there is an alternative way.
- Every person has cancer cells in the body. These cancer cells do not show up in the standard tests until they have multiplied to a few billion.. When doctors tell cancer patients that there are no more cancer cells in their bodies after treatment, it just means the tests are unable to detect the cancer cells because they have not reached the detectable size.
- Cancer cells occur between 6 to more than 10 times in a person's lifetime.
- When the person's immune system is strong the cancer cells will be destroyed and prevented from multiplying and forming tumors.
Like high cholesterol, high levels of triglycerides in the blood are risk factors for heart disease. High triglycerides also increase the risk of pancreatitis.
- Decrease the amount of fat in your diet by focusing on eating low-fat plant foods like grains, beans, vegetables and fruits. Use nonfat dairy products and small servings of lean meats.
- Cut back on sugar and refined carbohydrates in your diet. Limit soft drinks, jelly, candies and baked goods.
- Choose whole grain products like whole wheat bread and brown rice.
When Heather Chapman, 34, was two months pregnant, she suffered excruciating back pain caused by a herniated disk. Her doctor prescribed anti-inflammatory drugs and muscle relaxants. She was concerned that the drugs might harm her baby, so she reduced the amount of medication she was taking.
Heather's pain continued, so she began to search for natural alternatives and found a book about acupressure, a needle-free form of acupuncture. Using the book as her guide, Heather pressed her thumb onto a point just above her anklebone, which the book said would relieve her pain.
"I was amazed," says Heather. "I felt better within minutes."
Page 1 of 2